Friday, February 15, 2013

Welcome to Teaser City!

It's time to tease you again. Cause we're sadistic that way, and you just keep coming back, don't you? 


“I don’t care if it looks like the service road to Mordor. Free food is free food.” Rachel bravely went straight for the red door and stepped through.
When she didn’t come out screaming right away, the rest of the group joined her.
So this is how Luke felt in the cantina. Edgar thought it so loudly he may as well have said it aloud. He studied a long row of booths occupied by scattered men and women, each looking rougher than the next. At the far end of the dining area was one oversized booth where Rachel was standing and trying to talk to someone they couldn’t see.
Rachel waved them over and took a seat next to a middle aged man wearing a respectable suit and carefully looking over a menu which simply said Menu on its cover. “I figured he had to be Lassard,” Rachel said, a little too loudly. “No one else was wearing a tie. Or sleeves for that matter.” She felt the disapproving stares from the rest of the team now seated. “I also asked to see identification. Ladies and jerks, please meet Assistant Director Lassard.”
“AD Lassard, I’d like to welcome you on our behalf. My name is…” Edgar was suddenly cut off.
A gruff, booming voice that strangely didn’t rise above a low conversational tone stated, “I know who you are. I know who all of you are. I read your files. Take a menu and pick anything you want as long as it’s under ten dollars. After you order you will be briefed.”
“Briefed? I thought this was a meet and greet,” Alex said.
“What this is,” Lassard said, the last word in air quotes, “is an evaluation. You are my assets now and I need to see how you work.”
He was interrupted by the waitress, whose name tag read Waitress, to take everyone’s order. Lassard ordered a steak with baked potato and broccoli. After the waitress left, he continued before anyone else had a chance to start talking.
“I’m going to save all us some time.” He took a sip of his coffee, cleared his throat and adjusted his tone. “Whatever you think you’ve learned you’d better be ready to forget immediately. I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because you’ve already saved some lives and the Bureau is grateful for that. In the long run, however, that doesn’t mean a whole lot. You are agents. If you can’t be counted on to perform continually at a high level of efficiency then you are useless to me.”

Wait. Who's Lassard? 
I guess you'll have to read and find out! 


Amazon Kindle
BN Nook 
Kobo/Smashwords
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment